Oatmeal is one of my favorite things to eat for breakfast. Some people may think that oatmeal is an acquired taste. However, it depends how you make it. Oatmeal can be embellished in different in order to make tasty treat and very yummy.
But first, let's talk about a few of oatmeal health benefits:
1. Oatmeal can lower blood cholesterol .
2. Helps with slow digestion
3. Reduce the risk of heart disease
4. Has vitamins, minerals and antioxidants
5. A good source of protein, complex carbohydrates and iron
6. It's very filling because of its soluble fiber. (It sticks to the ribs.)
Oatmeal is quick and easy to make, especially you don't have time to cook breakfast each morning. You can make oatmeal so that can be delicious for children. My children love it, but they each have their own favorite way of eating oatmeal. You can even buy flavored oatmeal or can try some of these ideas to make your oatmeal.....mmmmm...mmmmm....good for your family.
1. Add fresh fruit such strawberries, blueberries, bananas, etc.
2. Brown Sugar (about 1 tsp)
3. Dried fruit (I love to add dried cranberries...YUM!!)
4. Maple Syrup (More like a drizzle)
6. Dry breakfast cereal (Honey Bunches of Oats or Fiber One Honey clusters)
You can pretty much make your oatmeal any way want to fit your taste. Another tip: You can use milk instead of water to make your oatmeal, which adds calcium.
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
2 1/2 cups water
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup Simply Jif® Creamy Peanut Butter
2 medium ripe bananas, sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Brown sugar and skim milk to taste
COMBINE oats, water and salt in a medium saucepan.
ADD peanut butter, bananas and cinnamon;